Monday, September 6, 2010

Rules


Learn the Rules


The other day I was visiting with another painter who is taking a color class.  She explained that the instructor was adamant about the rules for color mixing and use of color.  It sounds like the teacher believes one should not deviate from the rules.


Seems to me that it is important to learn the rules, know those rules, but then break them when you desire.  Breaking the rules might lead to one of those ' ah ha' moments or let you create something fresh and exciting.


3 comments:

  1. I agree about rules. These pieces are absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an artist after my own heart! Your work is beautiful and I see that you've centered some of your work. I get weary of other artists telling me my work is too bright or too wild. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you have done. These paintings are so alive and fresh. Were they as much fun for you to do as they are to look at??

    ReplyDelete