Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Tools of the Trade, Part III

EASELS
Double Masted Floor Easel

Oh boy....I have lots!  I love my easels.


There are so many different types of easels!  I use a heavy, sturdy, huge, double masted easel (like the one shown at the top of the page) because I paint vigorously and usually on larger canvases.  This also allows the painting to stand up in the same position it will be when hung on the wall.  I can sit or stand at the easel and move away from the painting to get a different perspective.  It has loads of ropes, pulleys and a great big crank to move the tray that holds the canvas up and down.  There is work to this painting process!

 table top easel

A table top easel would work for someone who paints on a smaller scale.  Just not my style.

  floor display easels

There are floor easels for display purposes.  I have some of these too and use them in the studio to hold completed work or I take them to exhibitions to show work that, for one reason or another, cannot be hung on the wall.


 collapsible easel  

An outdoor, plein air, painter uses a collapsible easel that is easy to tote.  Most plein aire work is smaller so it fits quite comfortably on this smaller easel.  Again, not my style.

  table top decorative easels


And then there are the itty bitty, decorative easels, used to hold small work.  So many choices with this one, but my preference is a simple, black, wooden number that disappears so you see only the painting, at least that is the hope.

 my favorite table top display easel

A little while ago I was standing at my easel painting, cranking the canvas up and down, enjoying the process.    I took a break to catch up on some desk work, but now it is time to get back into the studio, back to standing in front of my easel, that monster that I love.

To contact me click HERE
To visit my web site click HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment