Monday, August 12, 2013

Exhibition in Auburn, CA

Meet The Artist Reception
Friday, September 13
4:00 - 6:00 PM
(this is a new date for the reception)

Cairn VI
500.

About one year ago I was contacted by Sierra Moon Goldsmiths in Auburn, CA. with an invitation to exhibit paintings.  An interesting invitation...paintings in a jewelry store?  After some investigation and a visit to their location I discovered these goldsmiths, who work in a variety of metals and stones, are not only artists themselves but like to support the arts by introducing a variety of art to the community through exhibition in their store.  It isn't just a store, it's a gallery.  I accepted the invitation.

A current trend is to create an exhibition space that showcases different items such as they are doing;  jewelry and fine art.  In some ways this allows the viewer to see what the art would look like in a home situation because the paintings hang in various rooms where there are furnishings, work tables, display cases.  

Cairn I
20x16
400.

It didn't take long for me to realize I would hang paintings that complement the jewels, paintings from my Sticks and Stones Series, especially those in the jewel tones.


Cairn V
30 x 24
500.

There are several spaces so I will also show a few paintings that are more neutral in tonalities but still from Sticks and Stones.

This is part of my Artist's Statement about Sticks and Stones: 

 Nature is my muse.  The subject matter and composition of my paintings come from my personal experiences in nature.  Each painting begins with a walk or hike in the woods.  I see tremendous poetry, beauty, strength, power and permanence in nature.  I also see a more fragile, less permanent side to nature.  With my paintings I wish to convey a sense of these traits through the use of two simple elements:  Sticks and Stones.  These inanimate objects are presented with tremendous movement and stark realism, but they are emphatically not photographic.  In fact, many of the canvases are created using a palette of jewel tones rather than the natural colors.  


Twisted Stick
48x30
1500.

And I decided I must include at least one Tahoe Rock painting since these boulders are stones.

Golden Boulders
48x60
6000.

The opening of the exhibition is this coming Friday, September 13, 4:00-6:00 PM.  I will be there and hope you can stop by.  Not only will you have an opportunity to see my paintings, but an opportunity to see artful jewelry.  

Address: 107 Sacramento St, Auburn, CA 95603
Phone:(530) 823-1965



No comments:

Post a Comment