Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Painting Tahoe Rocks.


While Painting Cocktails I Am Still Painting Lake Tahoe Boulders.


Over the past few months I have been working on two different Lake Tahoe inspired paintings composed of huge boulders that sit in the crystal clear water of Lake Tahoe.



These boulders are a granite that is light gray, medium to coarse-grained rock and along with other igneous rocks and metamorphic slate can be found throughout the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Granite is composed of two light-colored minerals, quartz and feldspar.  Some granite appears to be salt and pepper in appearance due to the presence of darker colored minerals such as iron and magnesium.  That said, I am using a palette that does not contain black or  derivation of black, so the granite does not appear grey in my painting.  Artist license, and to me much more visually interesting.  


I thought I had completed 'Big Split', but not so.  After working on another boulder painting I decided to re-visit Big Split and the reflections on the water.  I am much happier with this painting.  This is just what it looked like this morning as I rowed past these rocks.

Big Split
48 x 36
3500.00

The reflection of the rocks and sky on the smooth water reached out towards my boat in ethereal, mystical, silent fingers.  It was a meditative start to the day.  It was also conducive to the re-work of the painting.

To Contact Me Click HERE
To Visit My Web Site Click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment