Thursday, May 19, 2011

Embracing Failure to Experience Success



Failure Teaches Success

Seven Pie Apples

One of my sons, who is a painter, asked me about the quality of my work, saying something like, "Mom, how do you consistently create these paintings?"

My answer was to quote the above Japanese saying as well as telling him to allow yourself to have failures.  We learn from our failures.   If a painting isn't working and you consider it a failure, learn from it and move on.  Each work leads to the next.

A few months ago, a friend who is also a painter came to visit bringing with her the gift of a small painting.

Blaine's Lavender Apple



Being intrigued with her palette from the moment the painting entered my home, I decided to let it inspire my next produce painting, knowing full well this could be a disaster.  Using my techniques and my own style I plunged in and you see my completed apple painting here.


I consider this painting a success.  But if I had not allowed myself the ability to experience a failure, I would not have ended up with this painting.  





Detail of Seven Pie Apples


What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
Vincent van Gogh

No comments:

Post a Comment