Monday, April 4, 2011

Pigments and Paints


What's the Difference




Additional paint has been applied to the canvas.
The background has been color corrected.
Back into the studio for more painting.


Pigments are used for coloring paint. Most pigments used in  the visual arts are dry and usually ground into a fine powder. This powder is added to a vehicle (or binder), a relatively neutral or colorless material that suspends the pigment and gives the paint its adhesion.  For the paintings I have been showing here on my blog, the vehicle is acrylic medium.  Pigment plus the vehicle equals paint.


Acrylic Paint is liquid and/or liquefiable and after application to a substrate  is converted to an opaque film.   I use acrylic paint  to add color and/or texture to canvas, to create paintings. 


Ok, so I refer to the use of pigments and paint interchangeably.  I talk about the pigments on my palette, applying the pigment to the canvas.  I also mention the paint on my palette and applying the paint to the canvas.  Technically,   I should be saying paint, but the word becomes redundant, and I like the word pigment, so even though there is a difference between the definitions of these two words I use them interchangeably.  

No comments:

Post a Comment